The following are examples of security plugins with fairly high ratings. I am giving Wordfence a trial run right now after using WPSecure for some time, as I went over to wordpress.org to get some data on WPSecure and this message was posted on the plugin’s info page:
This plugin hasn’t been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.
I’m glad that I checked on it. It probably hasn’t been protecting my site for some time. But this is why I use Bluehost for hosting my sites.
1. Wordfence Security
As of this date, this is one of the top rated security plugins.
Wordfence Security is either free for the basic security (which is enough for most people) or you can purchase a premium version. This security plugin includes a firewall, anti-virus scanning, and malicious URL scanning.
Wordfence starts by checking if your site is already infected. We do a deep server-side scan of your source code comparing it to the Official WordPress repository for core, themes and plugins. Then Wordfence secures your site and makes it up to 50 times faster. Wordfence Security is 100% free.
To learn more about Wordfence, click this link: http://docs.wordfence.com/en/Wordfence_Official_Documentation
2. BulletProof Security
BulletProof Security is designed to be a fast, simple and one click security plugin to add .htaccess website security protection for your WordPress website
Compatible up to: 4.1
Last Updated: 2014-11-19
Average rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
- One-click security protection
- Automatic .htaccess file updating on upgrade installation
- htaccess file backup and restore
- Built-in File Editing, File Downloading and File Uploading
- Custom Code feature permanently saves and writes your personal custom .htaccess code
- Backup and Restore customized / modified .htaccess files
3. WordPress Antivirus
Compatible up to: 4.0.1
Last Updated: 2014-11-27
Average rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Useful plugin that will scan your theme templates for malicious injections. Automatically. Every day. For more blog security.
WordPress Antivirus scans WordPress themes for WordPress permalink backdoor malware. Also, this plugin scans all theme files for malware injections and vulnerability. This plugin scans files daily and can notify your via email.
- Virus alert in the admin bar
- Cleaning up after plugin removal
- Translations into many languages
- Daily scan with email notifications
- Database tables and theme templates checks
- WordPress 3.x ready: both visually and technically
- White list solution: Mark suspected cases as “no virus”
- Manual check of template files with alerts on suspected cases
These are just a sample of what’s out there in terms of security plugins.
As always, do your due diligence when installing any plugin. Check the ratings, the feedback, the number of downloads, and the developers.
What are you using to protect your site? Leave a comment and let us know.