What is a Search Engine?
A search engine is designed to search for information on the internet. The search results are presented in a list of results referred to as SERPS, or “search engine results pages”. The search results can consist of web pages, images, information and other types of files.
Some search engines also mine data available in databases or open directories. Unlike web directories which are maintained by human editors, search engines also maintain real-time information by running an algorithm on a web crawler.
There are 2 main components
- The Crawler (bots, spiders) go out to the internet and crawl the content they find.
- The Algorithm, or the ranking formula, that the search engines use to determine the relevancy of your content.
How they do their magic
This is very simplistic, but essentially the search engines send out their bots to crawl the internet every 28 days. It crawls the internet by following links. This can be from one page on your site to another (interlinking) or from one website to another). The search engine then builds a database containing a copy of each page of information it finds.
How to ensure that your content gets indexed:
- Search engine optimizing your content is like spoon feeding the bots making their job as simple as possible.
- Using keywords shows the general relevancy of your content, especially in searches
- Creating remarkable content is how others find your content, note that it as remarkable, and link back to you.
- There are several ways to increase the standing of a website within the search results.
- Interlinking between pages provides additional links for the bots to follow and may improve the site’s visibility.
- Writing content that includes highly searched keyword phrases is another way to to increase traffic.
- Updating content to keep search engines crawling your site frequently can also give additional weight to a site.
- Adding relevant keywords to your web page’s meta data (title tag and meta description) will improve the relevancy of a site’s search listings, thereby increasing traffic
taking the simplest SEO steps will help the search engines find and index your content. As a result, your audience (target market, customer, client) will be more likely to find you, your content and site amidst a sea of similar products, services, and content on the internet.
This requires some time, effort and research, but the benefits are many and it is never too late! There are both free and paid plugins that you can install on your WordPress site that will help you to use SEO strategies on each post and page of your site.