Creating great content for your website is right up there with having a great website in terms of building a successful business (especially online).
Great content is an absolute necessity, but you may be feeling completely overwhelmed by even the thought of writing anything. Although it can seem overwhelming, these fears are easily conquered. I believe that with knowledge comes confidence, so I’ve put together these tips to help you overcome the fear.
8 Things to Keep in Mind When Writing
- You are not writing for high profile marketers or some fancy internet rock star that you think might be critical of your writing. You are writing content for your target market or your niche, and you are speaking their language. It’s only your niche that you have to satisfy. Those other people are way too busy to be looking over your shoulder anyway.
- The more you write, the better you will get. Sure, we all want to be the most sought after go-to person in our niche, but the reality is that it’s quite difficult to get found or known online until you’ve written a lot of great content for them. This alone should motivate you to write.
- Speak directly to your audience. Use the word “you” a lot. Write like you are having a conversation with one person in your niche by focusing on that absolutely ideal client (and then write to that person).
- You do not have to be a professional writer to write content for your website. If you keep in mind that your content only has to be appealing to your target market AND you are clear on what your specialty is, the content will come much more readily (and easily).
- Make your content easy to read and you’ll be half way there. Ever been to a site where it’s almost impossible to read that person’s content? Don’t do that. There’s a lot you can do with WordPress to format your content so that it is easy to read (also extremely good for SEO). For example, use bullets, numbers, stars, check marks, and sub-headings so you can keep your content well organized. And don’t forget to leave a lot of white space so your reader’s eyes get a break.
- Remember the outlines we had to create before writing an essay back in school? If you struggle to write a post that makes sense and builds on itself from beginning to end, creating an outline might be the very thing you need to do before putting your fingers to the keyboard. Instead of writing content that is confusing, the outline will keep you on track to producing an interesting and clear blog post.
- If outlines aren’t your thing, then write out some notes in a notebook, cut them out and rearrange them into an order where your story make sense. Once you start writing or typing, you’ll find that it’s much easier to elaborate on each paragraph, and you’ll see exactly where to use the bullets, stars, checkmarks and other formatting techniques.
- Before publishing your content, read it several times to find any errors in your spelling or grammar. Edit accordingly.
If you keep these tips in mind when writing your content, you’ll have easy to read, clear, informative, useful, on topic and great content that your niche and/or target market will be thankful for.
What do you focus on to ensure that your content is great? Let us know in a comment.